Vocal Intensive - Bernstein, Beethoven & Beyond
Sunday, July 22 - Sunday, August 5, 2018
Applications may be considered after March 1 pending available space.
Contact Academy@WintergreenPerformingArts.Org for specifics.
Open to classical singers at undergraduate, graduate, and young artist levels interested in a focused and intense learning and performing experience.
A unique opportunity to study both the rich heritage of American art song - including world premieres composed just for you! - and the finer points of performing concert works with a full orchestra. Coachings, masterclasses, diction training, professional development, multiple concerts, and world premiere performances.
The 2018 Vocal Intensive centers on two important aspects of the singer's career: Concert work with orchestra and American art song.
AMERICAN ARTS SONG - BERNSTEIN (and more!): The first week of the program will be devoted to American art song tradition, as inspired by Leonard Bernstein, whose 100th birthday we celebrate in 2018. Vocal Intensive participants will study and perform the music of Bernstein and other American giants, and will work closely with our student composers, under the guidance of renowned opera and song composer Daron Hagen to present a world premiere work write specifically for the singer.
CONCERT WORK - BEETHOVEN:
The concert work intensive this year is Beethoven - specifically Beethoven’s Choral Fantasy and Symphony No. 9. Participants will have the opportunity to work in depth on Choral Fantasy and Symphony No. 9 solos, performing the Choral Fantasy solos in concert with the fully professional WIntergreen Festival Orchestra and understudying the Symphony No. 9 soloist. Topics of discussion include: when to connect with the conductor, how to project over an orchestra, and even more mundane lessons, such as whether or not to follow along with the score in performance.
More faculty to be posted soon!
- Arianna Zukerman - Chair of Vocal Studies, Wintergreen Summer Music Academy; Potomac Vocal Institute
- Heather Johnson - Mezzo Soprano
- Erin Freeman - Artistic Director, Wintergreen Performing Arts; Director of Choral Activities, Virginia Commonwealth University; Director, Richmond Symphony Chorus
- Peter Marshall, Georgia State University; Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
- Jeffrey Picon - Tenor
- Joy Schreier, DC Area Coach
WHAT TO EXPECT
- At least 8 masterclasses with faculty
- At least 8 coaching sessions with lead coaches Peter Marshall and Joy Schreier
- Daily Practice time with fellowship pianist and/or coach
- Multiple performances, including:
- Solos in the Beethoven Choral Fantasy with the Wintergreen Festival Orchestra (Plus an additional selection)
- Bernstein tribute concert, performing side by side with vocal faculty
- World premiere performances songs composed just for you!
- Additional concerts for supportive patrons
- Classes on diction, career and image management, technology, vocal and mental health, and working with a conductor
- Optional private lessons with the faculty for a minimal additional fee
- Other opportunities include: audition process, video review, stage comportment, repertoire selection, and feedback.
- Beautiful hiking trails, breathtaking overlooks, and free access to the Wintergreen Resort Fitness and Aquatics center
Application Deadlines and Requirements
- February 1: Early Bird Deadline. Fee $45. Beginning February 2, fee increases to $65
- March 1: Application Deadline
- March 15: Acceptance Notification
- April 1: Reservation deposit due
- Audio or video (preferred) recordings of at least three contrasting works demonstrating your best singing. Works in German and English are encouraged, but not required. Applicants may upload file or provide a link during the application process.
- Current performing resume, including repertoire list
- Contact information for one reference
- Those wishing to apply for need-based financial aid will need to submit a statement of need and an electronic copy of their parents' 2016 or 2017 Federal Tax Return with sensitive information removed and a Statement of Need
Visit https://app.getacceptd.com/wintergreen for more details.
- Application Fees: $45 on or before Feb 1, 2016/$65 Feb 2, 2016 and after
- Tuition: $1300 (scholarships available)
- Room and Board: $960 ($480 per week. Room and Board includes all food and lodging, free admission to the aquatics center, a Festival t-shirt, admission to all Festival events, and transportation to and from the Charlottesville airport, train station, or bus terminal.)
With questions or for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org