Housing, Food, Transportation, and Policies
A note from our directors:
We are thrilled that you are interested in the Wintergreen Summer Music Academy, a unique summer experience which blends exciting musical growth, breathtaking natural beauty, and cultivated collegiality among professionals and students.
At Wintergreen Performing Arts, we pride ourselves in creating an atmosphere that promotes high artistic quality through a strong sense of community. This combination makes our Festival and Academy the ideal place for students to come and learn in a safe, nurturing, and inspiring environment. Although many of our students are college age, we invite advanced high school students as well as those who have completed their undergraduate or graduate studies.
This mix of ages, along with the professional musicians of the Wintergreen Festival Orchestra and Academy Faculty, foster a sense of family. Here are just a few of the many structures we have in place to ensure the health and happiness of every student in the Academy.
• All students are required to read and sign several documents that clearly articulate the rules and regulations of the Academy.
• If the applicant is under age 18, the signature of a parent or guardian will also be required.
• Those over 18 are also expected to abide by our rules. Regardless of age, US and Virginia laws are strictly enforced.
• Those under 18 have slightly different rules than the rest of the Academy students.
• Students are housed according to age and gender.
• Civility and teamwork are key, and we stress those qualities throughout the month.
• We support students of all backgrounds and insist that all of our students and faculty treat everyone with respect.
• Our Director of Residence Life monitors the non-musical aspects of each student's life. Our Festival Assistant and Arts Administration Fellows provide a helpful link between the student life and artistic sides of the Academy.
• Because the program is relatively small, we have a very low student to faculty/staff ratio, giving us ample opportunity to monitor each student's artistic progress as well as their general health and happiness.
• Wintergreen has its own police force and fire department (located directly across the street from student lodging), and there is a guard house and a rescue squad for medical emergencies.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at 434-325-8292 or via e-mail at academy@WintergreenPerformingArts.org if you have any questions!
Erin Freeman - Artistic Director, Wintergreen Performing Arts
Ross Monroe Winter - Academy Director, Wintergreen Performing Arts
Academy students are housed on Wintergreen Mountain in spacious apartments (dual occupancy rooms) at the Blue Ridge Commons or in comparable private homes. The facilities are a short walking distance to most performance and rehearsal locations. Find out more about the beautiful Wintergreen Resort here.
All meals are provided for the duration of each program. Most meals are prepared by our own Wintergreen Performing Arts Chef-in-Residence and Academy volunteers. Students will also have occasional meals provided at full-service Resort restaurants. Additionally, each apartment has a well equipped kitchen for student use.
It is not necessary to have a car while attending the Academy. However, students may use personal vehicles on the mountain; there is ample free parking at the housing facility. Note: Motorcycles are not allowed at Wintergreen Resort.
Those without cars should make all travel arrangements only in and out of Charlottesville, Virginia using the frequent air, rail, or bus services that are available. Complimentary transportation between Charlottesville and Wintergreen will be available on the first and last days of each Academy program. Further details will be provided upon acceptance into the program.
All students (and parents of underage students) are required to read and sign several documents that clearly articulate the rules and regulations of the Academy. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in dismissal from the program with no refund in tuition or fees paid.