July 8 - July 15, 2018
Open to the serious conducting student.
Applications may be considered after March 1 pending available space.
Contact Academy@WintergreenPerformingArts.Org for specifics.
For information on auditing, please contact us.
A unique opportunity to combine training, performance, conversation, and observation.
Conductor Victor Yampolsky leads the week as Master Teacher, assisted by conductor and Wintergreen Performing Arts' Artistic Director, Erin Freeman. Providing more than 120 minutes of podium time per student, plus opportunities for two public performances, this program commands a unique position among summer conducting programs. In addition, students will attend daily workshops and seminars on topics including score study, baton technique, bowing and woodwind sessions, public speaking coaching, community outreach and education script writing and delivery, and video review. Finally, Conductors' Summit students will observe Maestro Yampolsky in rehearsals and performances with the Wintergreen Festival Orchestra.
Conducting sessions include:
- 1 session with a string quintet. (20 minutes per student)
- 2 masterclasses with the full String Chamber Music Academy rehearsing as an orchestra. (20 minutes per student per masterclass)
- 1 performance with the full String Chamber Music Academy performing as an orchestra. (Approx. 15 minutes per student)
- 3 masterclasses with a fully professional chamber ensemble
- 1 public performance of a fully professional chamber ensemble - divided among conducting students. (Approx. 10 minutes per student)
Students may video all sessions. A SD camera with tripod will be provided, or students may use own devices.
Enrollment for active participants will be capped at 6, creating opportunities for conversation, camaraderie, and collegiality.
Victor Yampolsky - Master Teacher, WSMA Conductors' Summit; Director of Orchestras, Northwestern University
Erin R. Freeman - Artistic Director, Wintergreen Performing Arts
Additional Faculty listed soon.
With Wintergreen Festival Orchestra members:
- Schubert - Octet
With String Chamber Music Academy:
- Respighi - Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite III
- Arensky - Variations on a Theme by Tchaikovsky
- Hindemith - Five Pieces for String Orchestra
- Bernstein - Fascimile
- Beethoven - Symphony No. 3
What to expect
- Private and group lessons in baton technique and score study
- 6 masterclasses and 2 public conducting performances
- Podium time in front of student and professional musicians
- Video permissions for all sessions; videos with professional ensembles may be used for applications and self-study; videos with student ensemble may be publicly used.
- Video and portfolio review
- Sessions on bowing technique, woodwind tuning, career development, educational and community programming, public speaking, and more.
- A resume outlining conducting experience, including any pertinent coursework
- A short biographical statement
- A video (uploaded or linked) demonstrating two contrasting excerpts, with camera facing conductor's front, if possible.
- A short statement of interest in the program
- Contact information for one reference
- Those wishing to apply for need-based financial aid will need to submit a statement of need and an electronic copy of their parents' 2016 or 2017 Federal Tax Return with sensitive information removed and a Statement of Need
visit https://app.getacceptd.com/wintergreen and choose the Conductors' Summit from the drop-down menu for complete audition requirements.
- February 1: Early Bird Deadline. Fee only $45.
Beginning February 2, fee increases to $65
- March 1: Application Deadline
- March 15: Acceptance Notification
- April 1: Reservation deposit due
- Application Fees: $45 on or before Feb 1, 2018/$65 Feb 2, 2018 and after
- Tuition: $1600 (scholarships available)
- Room and Board: $480 (Room and Board includes all food and lodging, free admission to the aquatics center, a Festival t-shirt, admission to all Festival events, and transportation to and from the Charlottesville airport, train station, or bus terminal.)
With questions or for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org