Wintergreen Performing Arts – Spring Updates
By Artistic Director, Erin Freeman
Daffodils, birds, pollen . . . and snow! It is that time of year when we have a little bit of every type of weather. The days get longer, the bears come out from hibernation, snow turns into rain (and back again), and we remember that the slopes that have been covered with skiers will soon be filled with the sound of music.
As you might imagine, with the 2018 Wintergreen Summer Music Festival and Academy mere months away, we have a long to-do list: finish chamber music assignments, make housing arrangements for musicians, order t-shirts, rent orchestra music, continue our spring fundraising campaign, etc. We are also working hard to make sure we have dotted our “i”s and crossed our “t”s for our exciting new location on the Mountain. You name it, it’s on our list.
And, just in case you need a to-do list, too, we’ve made one for you!
- Check out our newly updated website – with the complete schedule of our exciting 2018 Summer events. This year, our theme is Building Bridges: Celebrating the Connections that Only Music Can Make.
- Sign up for the WPA Newsletter to get regular updates on artists, programs, and events.
- Buy your tickets for the annual Derby Day Party on May 5 – the social event of the season! It’s the fastest two minutes in sports, with delicious food and the best mint juleps in the Valley.
- Invite friends to plan a trip to Wintergreen this summer to spend time with you, experience the beautiful surroundings, and enjoy the incredible music. They might like one of our Wintergreen Weekends, curated with the Friday to Sunday visitor in mind.
- Sign up for our “Sing with Us!”
- Keep an eye out in your mailbox for this year’s season brochure, and buy your packages and passes on April 2 and your single tickets on April 16.
- Host an Artist! Contact Shannon Nara, our new Housing Coordinator, for details. firstname.lastname@example.org
I can’t possibly list all of the exciting events that we have planned for the summer in a short newsletter entry. But I will highlight a few of my personal favorites!
- Not one, but TWO Beethoven symphonies on our MountainTop Masterworks series! His epic “Eroica” Symphony and the powerful “Ninth” – the “Ode to Joy.” Plus a work by Beethoven’s teacher, Haydn, conducted by Daniel Hege, pictured here.
- Our Wild Wednesdays, including a tribute to Tony Bennett and Duke Ellington and an evening of Motown.
- World renowned violinist Rachel Barton Pine is performing works by the great wunderkind Mozart, the sword-wielding Chevalier de Saint George, Vivaldi, and even Metallica.
Until then, we hope you’ll consider making a donation. Your gift makes a difference and makes the music possible. We can’t wait to see you this summer!