Vocal Intensive - Focus on Mozart
July 5 - July 16, 2017
Open to classical singers at undergraduate, graduate, and young artist levels interested in a focused and intense learning and performing experience.
Also accepting applications for a Fellowship pianist for the Vocal Intensive program. Pianists will accompany student performances and work alongside pianist Edward Newman and coach Giovanni Reggioli to study the finer points of accompanying, coaching, languages, and working with a conductor.
The 2017 Vocal Intensive focuses on two important aspects of the singer's career: Concert work with orchestra and audition repertoire/technique. The focus of the concert work intensive this year is Mozart - specifically Mozart Requiem. Participants will have the opportunity to work in depth on the Requiem solos as well as learn the problems and pitfalls seasoned performers already know: when to connect with the conductor, how to project over an orchestra, and even more mundane lessons, such as whether or not to follow along with the score in performance. In addition, students will dive into the score of the Requiem with celebrated Juilliard professor and Mozart scholar Michael White.
The first four days of the program will be devoted to the audition process, including public mock-auditions, video review, stage comportment, repertoire selection, and feedback.
The following seven days dives into the world of performing Mozart concert works and culminates in a public performance with professional orchestra under the direction of WPA Artistic Director Erin Freeman.
Throughout the program, students will study and perform in masterclasses with renowned soprano and pedagogue Arianna Zukerman, Tenor Vale Rideout, and Baritone Bob McDonald; Giovanni Reggioli, and Erin Freeman will coach students on the music of Mozart; and students will receive instruction in Italian diction, working with orchestras, and career management.
Arianna Zukerman - Chair of Vocal Studies, Wintergreen Summer Music Academy; International Soloist; Faculty, Benjamin T. Rome School of Music at Catholic University and Potomac Vocal Institute.
Erin Freeman - Artistic Director, Wintergreen Performing Arts; Director of Choral Activities, Virginia Commonwealth University; Director, Richmond Symphony Chorus
Bob McDonald - US Army Chorus
Giovanni Reggioli - Opera Conductor and Coach
Vale Rideout - Tenor
Edward Newman - Concert and collaborative pianist
Michael White - Professor, The Juilliard School
- Application Fees: $45 on or before Feb 1, 2016/$65 Feb 2, 2016 and after
- Tuition: $1100 (scholarships available)
- Room and Board: $700 (Room and Board includes all food and lodging, free admission to the aquatics center, a Festival t-shirt, admission to all Festival events, and transportation to and from the Charlottesville airport, train station, or bus terminal.)
- Fellowship Pianist receives full tuition, room & board, plus a travel stipend
WHAT TO EXPECT
- 4 masterclasses with master teacher Arianna Zukerman
- 1 masterclass with additional faculty Vale Rideout and Bob McDonald.
- Daily coaching sessions with Giovanni Reggioli and/or Erin Freeman
- Multiple performances, including the solos of Mozart Requiem with the Wintergreen Festival Orchestra.
- Seminars on Mozart with Juilliard professor and Mozart scholar, Michael White
- Classes on diction, career and image management, and working with a conductor
- Optional private lessons with the faculty
- For practice, students should bring an electronic keyboard or phone/tablet with keyboard app. Alternatively, Wintergreen Summer Music Academy can arrange to have one for you during the program for an additional charge.
APPLICATION DEADLINES & AUDITION INFO
February 1 – Early Bird Deadline
March 15 – application review begins. Applications submitted after this date will be reviewed as positions are available.
Visit https://app.getacceptd.com/wintergreen and choose Vocal Intensive and your voice type from the dropdown menu for complete audition requirements.
With questions or for more information: email@example.com