July 6 - July 17, 2016
With the addition of two fantastic faculty members to the Vocal Intensive, we have extended the application deadline (to April 1st)!
Please take a look at all we offer and send in your materials!
Open to classical singers at undergraduate, graduate and young artist levels interested in a focused and intense learning and performing experience.
The 2016 Vocal Intensive focuses on two important aspects of the singer's career: Oratorio singing and audition repertoire/technique. The focus of the oratorio intensive this year is Handel’s Messiah. Participants will have the opportunity to work in depth on Messiah solos as well as learn the problems and pitfalls seasoned performers already know: when to connect with the conductor, how to indicate where the cadenza ends, and even more mundane lessons, such as whether or not to follow along with the score in performance.
The 12 day program culminates in a public performance with professional orchestra under the direction of WPA Artistic Director Erin Freeman and includes additional singing opportunities. Throughout the program, students will study and perform in masterclasses with renowned soprano and pedagogue Arianna Zukerman and Baroque specialist and Yale professor James Taylor. Julian Wachner and Erin Freeman will coach students on the music of Handel, and students will receive instruction in Baroque ornamentation, working with orchestras, and career management.
Four additional days will be devoted to the audition process, including public mock-auditions, video review, and feedback.
Arianna Zukerman - Chair of Vocal Studies, Wintergreen Summer Music Academy; International Soloist; Faculty, Catholic University
Erin Freeman - Artistic Director, Wintergreen Performing Arts; Director of Choral Activities, Virginia Commonwealth University; Director, Richmond Symphony Chorus
James Taylor - Voice Faculty, Yale School of Music
Julian Wachner - Music Director, The Washington Chorus; Director of Music and the Arts, Trinity Wall Street; Internationally renowned composer and opera conductor
Giovanni Reggioli - Special Guest Panelist; Conductor and Vocal Coach
Bob McDonald - Baritone and Guest Artist
- Application Fees: $45 on or before Feb 1, 2016/$65 Feb 2, 2016 and after
- Tuition: $1095 (scholarships available)
- Room and Board: $600
WHAT TO EXPECT
- 4 masterclasses with master teacher Arianna Zukerman
- 1 masterclass with Baroque specialist and Yale professor James Taylor
- Daily coaching sessions with Julian Wachner and/or Erin Freeman
- Multiple performances, including the solos of Handel's Messiah with the Wintergreen Festival Orchestra.
- Sessions on diction, ornamentation, vocal health, performance psychology, and career and image management
- For practice, students should bring an electronic keyboard or phone/tablet with keyboard app. Alternatively, Wintergreen Summer Music Academy can arrange to have one for you during the program for an additional charge.
APPLICATION DEADLINES & AUDITION INFO
February 1 – Early Bird Deadline
March 1 – application review begins. Applications submitted after this date will be reviewed as positions are available.
Visit https://app.getacceptd.com/wintergreen and choose Vocal Intensive and your voice type from the dropdown menu for complete audition requirements.
With questions or for more information: email@example.com