String Chamber Music Academy
July 8 - August 6, 2017
Open to advanced high school, undergraduate, and graduate string players. Individuals and pre-formed ensembles are invited to apply.
Spend a summer month rehearsing and performing the great string chamber music literature with a designated ensemble in the stunning setting of Wintergreen Resort. All string students also participate in weekly private lessons, multiple weekly coachings, numerous masterclasses, and frequent performances.
The outstanding string faculty and coaches are members of the professional Wintergreen Festival Orchestra. These instructors play in orchestras and ensembles around the country and internationally and are university teachers or experienced pedagogues.
String Academy ensembles also work closely with Composition Academy students and instructors to explore, perform, and record new works.
- Application Fees: $45 on or before Feb 1, 2017/$65 Feb 2, 2017 and after
- Tuition: $2150 (scholarships available)
- Room and Board: $1920 ($480 per week. Room and Board includes all food and lodging, free admission to the aquatics center, a Festival t-shirt, admission to all Festival events, and transportation to and from the Charlottesville airport, train station, or bus terminal.)
Ross Monroe Winter - Academy Director and Violin Faculty
Wesley Baldwin - Associate Academy Director and Cello Faculty
Elisabeth Adkins - Violin Faculty
Jennifer John - Violin Faculty
Sharan Leventhal - Violin Faculty
James Lyon - Violin Faculty
Ann Marie Brink - Viola Faculty
Daphne Gerling - Viola Faculty
Steve Larson - Viola Faculty
Wendy Warner - Cello Faculty
Dee Moses - Bass Faculty
What to expect
- Each string player will receive at least one private lesson per week.
- String players will be a part of special academy events, including numerous masterclasses and weekly technique classes.
- Each string ensemble (either pre-formed or developed through our audition process) will study up to three major works during the course of the festival.
- String players will have multiple opportunities to work with and observe the professional musicians of the Wintergreen Festival Orchestra.
- String players will be able to hone their skills with regard to ensemble-playing and rehearsal techniques by bringing standard repertoire to a very high level of performance in a relatively short period of time. This is definitely real-world experience!
- Many String Academy students will have an opportunity to work with one of the young composers attending the Composition Academy, including performing and recording a work. Each will receive a copy of the final CD.
- During the course of the four weeks, the String Academy will come together as a string orchestra for performances and readings under the direction of Victor Yampolsky and Erin Freeman.
- String chamber music students will present weekly public performances in the Dunlop Pavilion and other venues.
- All academy students will have free access to nearly all Wintergreen Summer Music Festival performances.
- Individual practice (as often as possible throughout the day)
- Twelve hours of ensemble rehearsal (generally in the morning)
- Three hours of ensemble coaching (generally in the afternoon)
- Masterclasses with faculty
- Rare opportunities to observe faculty chamber music rehearsals
- A private lesson (generally in the early mornings or afternoons)
- Attendance at Wintergreen Summer Music Festival performances
Application Deadlines & Audition info
Applications currently being accepted on a rolling basis.
Applicants will be asked to upload audio or video (preferred) recordings of at least two contrasting works of at least 15 minutes total in duration demonstrating technical and musical ability. Other required documents include a listing of chamber music works studied/performed and a current resume of training experience.
Those wishing to apply for financial aid will need to submit an electronic copy of their parents' 2015 or 2016 Federal Tax Return with sensitive information removed and a Statement of Need.
Visit https://app.getacceptd.com/wintergreen for more details.
With questions or for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org