July 17 - July 24, 2016
A unique opportunity to combine training, performance, conversation, and observation.
Open to the serious conducting student.
Conductor Victor Yampolsky leads the week as Master Teacher, assisted by conductor and Wintergreen Performing Arts' Artistic Director, Erin Freeman. Providing more than 120 minutes of podium time per student, plus opportunities for two public performances, this program commands a unique position among summer conducting programs. In addition, students will attend daily workshops and seminars on topics including score study, baton technique, bowing and woodwind sessions, public speaking coaching, community outreach and education script writing and delivery, and video review. Finally, Conductors' Summit students will observe Maestro Yampolsky in rehearsals and performances with the Wintergreen Festival Orchestra.
Conducting sessions include:
- 1 session with a string quintet. (20 minutes per student)
- 2 masterclasses with the full String Chamber Music Academy rehearsing as an orchestra. (20 minutes per student per masterclass)
- 1 performance with the full String Chamber Music Academy performing as an orchestra.(approx 15 minutes per student)
- 3 masterclasses with a fully professional chamber ensemble (Mahler Symphony No. 4, arr. Klaus Simon) (20 minutes per student per masterclass)
- 1 public performance of a fully professional chamber ensemble (Mahler Symphony No. 4, arr Simon) divided among conducting students. (approx 10 minutes per student)
All sessions will be videotaped and will be available for audition submission and personal study.
Enrollment will be capped at 6 participants, creating opportunities for conversation, camaraderie, and collegiality.
Victor Yampolsky - Master Teacher, WSMA Conductors' Summit; Director of Orchestras, Northwestern University
Erin R. Freeman - Artistic Director, Wintergreen Performing Arts
Elisabeth Adkins - Concertmaster; Seminar Instructor
Mahler Symphony No. 4, arr. Klaus Simon (with Wintergreen Festival Orchestra Chamber Players)
String orchestra repertoire (with String Chamber Music Academy)
- Dvorak - String Serenade
- Grieg - Two Elegiac Melodies, Op. 34
- Puccini - Crisantemi
Observation repertoire: listed below on Schedule .pdf
- Application Fees: $45 on or before Feb 1, 2016/$65 Feb 2, 2016 and after
- Tuition: $1490 (scholarships available)
- Room and Board: $400
APPLICATION DEADLINES & AUDITION INFO
February 1 – Early Bird Deadline
March 1 – Application review begins. Applications submitted after this date will be reviewed as positions are available.
Visit https://app.getacceptd.com/wintergreen and choose the Conductors' Summit from the drop-down menu for complete audition requirements.
Pictures from 2015's Conductors' Summit
What to expect
- Private and group lessons in baton technique and score study
- 6 masterclasses and 2 public conducting performances
- Podium time in front of student and professional musicians
- Videos for all sessions and video review; copies of videos will be available for applications and self-study
- Sessions on bowing technique, woodwind tuning, career development, educational and community programming, public speaking, and more
With questions or for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org